Francesca Buckley shares her experiences of Marketing Week Live 2014.
A recent visit to Marketing Week Live, where I saw two very interesting speakers, David Pemsel of the Guardian and Sonia Carter from Mondelez International, talking about ‘Creativity in the Digital Today’ and ‘Storytelling at Scale’ respectively, reinforced some key rules that are vital to success in the age of the shared economy:
- Be trusted – it is essential that you earn the confidence of your audience; they will not spare their hard-won time to engage with your content otherwise
- Be relevant – take time to consider what your audience needs and ensure that your content accurately targets them
- Align your mobile and digital strategies - you need to consider the channels you disseminate your content on, but just as important is its efficacy across multiple mobile devices
- Be open – to optimise creativity and engagement, you need to enable user-generated content. As David says, the perfect triumvirate for this is the involvement of users and communities, partners and the encouragement of innovation. This builds transparent, multi-channel storytellers
- Be authentic – in the age of the savvy consumer, the authenticity of your brand story is vital
- Make your content easily sharable – the more easily shared it is, the better reach it will have!
- Use data – creativity comes first, but use the data you have at your disposal to make sure it is targeted
- Ensure your social media activity draws on your organisation’s overall marketing objectives – you’d be surprised how many organisations don’t do this
- Create a structure for producing content – and make sure everyone supports this
- Develop a consistent tone of voice and visual identity across all materials – you want your audience to recognise you!
For all events and campaigns queries, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on 0207 605 4500.